Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Small Talk Can Get You Killed...



How are you? Those can be very dangerous words. "How are you?" said to the wrong person can become a 45-minute conversation. Especially if it’s somebody you kind of know - maybe some one at work who you thought was cool until you caught him whacking off in the men’s bathroom. And one day you make the mistake of asking: “How are you?” and he says: “Well, Bob, my wife left me because she caught me whacking off in the bathroom. See, I have a toilet bowl fetish. I am physically attracted to toilet bowls. They’re so smooth and porcelain-y. And they have water inside. And when you flush them, the water goes round and round…and oh, God, I’m getting hot. I’ll be right back.”

And small talk is another dangerous thing. Because small talk can quickly lead to big talk if you’re not careful. Perhaps you started the conversation off with: “Man, I hate waiting in line.” And the guy you were innocently talking to says: “What gives you the right to talk to me? Can’t you see I’m busy…and slightly unstable. And I have a pistol in my pocket. And now I’m pulling it out and thrusting it in your face…what do you think about that, Mr. I-Hate-To-Wait-In-Line. Huh? Huh?” And you say: “Please, put down the gun. I was just making small talk.” Because small talk can get you killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment