Friday, August 26, 2011

Manhole Covers: A cautionary tale


"Why I Avoid Manhole Covers"

     My wife once asked me why I avoid manhole covers when we went for our daily walks. So, I told her about an incident in high school.
 
     On one particular day, my buddy (we’ll call him Sam) thought it would be fun to leap on the manhole cover that lay nearby. As he jumped on it, the cover flipped up and he landed funny. Immediately, Sam leapt up and grabbed his ”tenderest of tenders”. He was howling and I was laughing with tears in my eyes. When he was able to regain his composure, we continued our walk with Sam moving at a slower speed. The next day at school, Sam was absent. I learned later that he actually cut his tenderest of tenders and was taken to the hospital for stitches.
 
      After I told my wife that tale, she agreed that we should never step on manhole covers.
 
I posted this on a Reader's Digest Facebook contest.  Basically, you have to write a 150 word story about your life (or something in your life).  So feel free to enter one of your own stories (and possibly win $25,000 to boot).  Or, you could vote for mine by going to:  Why I avoid manhole covers

No comments:

Post a Comment